Thursday, February 11, 2010

ear worm

I was called yesterday to sub and it was a MUCH better day. I am so thankful for that because last time it was horrible.
Last time I was the Language Arts 'teacher' for 6, 7, and 8th graders! 8th graders were just miserable and disrespectful.

My favorite line from the day:
student: Are you married?
me: No
student: I can see why

Agggh!!

Back to the positive... yesterday I was called to sub for the music teacher at Boy Child's school!
Awesome. (make note: Boy Child's music day is today)

I get the call about 40 minutes before I have to be there. Talk about lighting a fire under my ass!
It was full speed ahead! Pack lunches, iron my clothes, finish my hair (flat iron died in the process)... chaos.
Get us out the door and off to school we go.
Once we get there I realize I have left my glasses at home and my tea. *sigh*
Boy Child and I go separate ways and there I am... all alone in my classroom staring at the lesson plan.

Now if you have never subbed before that lesson plan is intimidating as hell! You're going in there blind (in my case, literally- Ha!) then you have to interpret those plans to the best of your ability to keep those students engaged (and interested) for the entire time period you have them while keeping them UNDER CONTROL!

There in black in white was a plan that had 4 third grade classes, 1 first grade class and 5 kindergarten classes staring at me!

Long story short, I still have "Are You Sleeping" and "Brother John" stuck in my head, my throat is screaming, and I learned that I will not be teaching music after I finish college.
Why?
Because I CANNOT sing. At all.

Overall, it really was an awesome day!

6 comments:

jenn said...

gotta hand it to you - i could never do it! congrats on surviving the day :)

Claudine said...

Lol! At least you survived the day. I can never be a music teacher, too... for the same reason. I'm sure I'm better off sticking to my day job.

Michelle Schraudner said...

Oh wow, you're way tougher than me! If I had that terrible of a day before, I don't think I would have ever gone back!

MaryBeth Houlihan said...

i give you a lot of credit for subbing-i think it would be so intimidating. the nerve of some kids? ugh.

Ashley said...

Awesome! Glad you had fun

Maryx said...

WOW!! You're one tough cookie!
Congrats and good luck brave girl!