Wednesday, May 26, 2010

punched in the gut

Tonight Cole's father called, inviting him to go camping for the weekend.

To the average person this sounds exciting, but in our home this causes insane amounts of frustration and pressure.
Cole has a hard time being away for more than 2 nights and the fact that dad actually wants to do something as elaborate as camping was a shocker in itself.

Cole and I had a discussion about the camping trip, when it would happen and where it would be. At first he was excited but then... the anxiety set in.

He's not sure.

So much truth came out of my little boy's mouth tonight I'm not sure how to feel. I just know it's my job to protect him to the best of my ability but when the law says you must send your child to the other parents house, my hands are tied.

Cole is bothered by his dad "being old". The man is almost 51, I'm 30. So yes, to a 9 year old- he's OLD.
He smokes. This makes poor little Boy Child absolutely sick to his stomach. All those advertisements of the old corpse looking man that's smoking has my child scared to death!
I was informed tonight that when he goes with dad, "I get a funny feeling in my tummy."
Now having been a child of a divorce I know that feeling all too well. Especially when you don't trust the other parent. My son doesn't trust his father or his older brother.

I'm sick.

I casually said to him, "dad told me you tell him all the time you wished you two spent more time together..."
Cole immediately replied with no hesitation, "I say that so he won't get mad... or even sad"

I asked him if he says things to make me happy, and again no hesitation... "never momma, I tell you the truth."

I could only cry.

7 comments:

Maki said...

Oh no... This is so difficult for you - I can feel it. Hope your little prince feels at ease and happy being with his daddy, I only hope so..... {Big Hugs}

Mr O said...

wow, this one hit me. All I can do is sit here from my spot in the world and hope that this trip goes smoothly as it can

Maryx said...

O.M.G.

?!

Poor Boy Child.

Wow. Can't be good?
Good luck sweetie. Just know you have very good, loving boy who won't hurt people easily. Or consciously. And he's honest. To the most important person in his life.

Brian said...

That is very tough thing to hear from your child about his father. I am very lucky to have two parents that love each other very much and still married. I have met people that their parents are divorced and the parents don't even talked to each other. Yes, the law says that he must spend time with his father, but the law focuses on what is the best interest for the child. If your child does not want to spend time with his father, you may have to respect that.

Tough decision...I will be thinking and praying for you

Ashley said...

Poor little guy... Maybe his dad would let him bring a friend along? Maybe thatd help?

Anonymous said...

So sad for you! I wish I could make things different for you and Cole. I really do!

I know he is frightened and that upsets you, but hold fast to the reality that you are there for him.

Love you guys so much!

Theresa Milstein said...

You and Cole are in an impossible situation. I feel for you. Talking and listening to your son is the best thing you can do. I hope it gets better.