Monday, December 29, 2008

vegan say wha?

I've been doing some reading, serious web surfing and even some pondering over the way my own body feels after I have consumed something of the food kind and I think I'm ready to make a huge transformation. I mean HUGE! but I am going to do this g.r.a.d.u.a.l.l.y.
Take this all in baby steps; learn how to do it and do it right.

{Oh... and I'm doing this to save the animals and stuff...}


I'm going to switch to a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle. I'm even going to subject Boy Child to it but I'm not going to tell him because I know if I don't, he'll never notice!

I first started by reading the book Skinny Bitch. If you have not read this, it is a must. Seriously. Rory and Kim are real, raw and tell you just how it is. While I was reading they recommended going to GoVeg.com to get a vegetarian starter kit. Well... I couldn't resist! While I was there I started looking around, digging deeper and deeper into that site and the many other recommended sites. Hook, line and friggin' sinker!! (just what they want you to do!)

Hurry up Mr. Crazy Mailman... bring me my damn kit already!

Skinny Bitch isn't just about the vegan lifestyle but also how to remove some of the other "shit" in your life. As I was reading I was shocked by some of the information yet at the same time I really didn't doubt what I was reading was true. We live in a world of shit. We basically just consume... yep-- shit!

I'm gradually going to make changes according to what I'm comfortable with, in hopes that my end result will be adopting a vegan lifestyle from what I have learned by reading Skinny Bitch and all the other research I'm exerting all kinds of my energy into.


Phew... what a journey I'm about to embark! I think I can do it, I have already taken a few of those steps in my life, I just need to keep going.

Here are a few things I'm doing, and these aren't just geared towards the whole vegan thing either. Read Skinny Bitch and you'll figure it out for yourself.

*No soda (this isn't a problem anyways; it has been almost 7 years since I've touched the stuff)
*No more coffee (it has been almost a week and I have a serious headache but I'm toughing it out)
*I used to use Splenda in my coffee... I'm kissing that shit good bye! (Arsenic? Umm Hello? Seriously?)
*No more aspartame or fake sweetener products (Snapple I'm going to miss you like no other!!)

This is what I'm about to do:
*I'm ditching meat(obviously) Ever since my gastric bypass I have had a horrible relationship with red meat so I don't see this being too much of a problem. ~crossing fingers~
*Slowly remove chicken from my diet. Chicken has been one of the main "meats" my body has been able to digest since gastric.
*Removing fish/seafood from my diet on the other hand is going to be incredibly hard!! I live on the coast and lobster is so accessible. Salmon, tuna haddock, scallops, shrimp, clams... etc-- I love it all! I really hope there are some nice alternatives out there or I become so over powered by new taste buds I forget all about my love for seafood. (I also have to remember why I'm doing this)
* Time to say good bye to eggs. I think this might be tough. I know there are substitutes out there but even after all the reading I have done on alternatives, tips and tricks I am already overwhelmed.
* Milk! Ohh boy! Let the search begin for a soy milk both me and Boy Child will like. Boy Child started drinking Silk before he turned 1 and continued until almost 2 but we recently tried it again and do not care much for it.
*The thought of giving up my daily yogurt makes me want to curl up into the fetal position and cry! I hope the heck there is a yummilicious alternative out there for me!
*Ohhh cheeeeese... ohhh wonderful cheese!! I'm going to miss you sooooo much but you are the fat on my ass, the fat on my thighs and the puss in my mouth because of what those poor cows have been through to give me that wonderful cheese! (Nasty thought... yes, but also the truth.) (I did make a cheese less veggie pizza tonight that was fairly yummy!)


I know there is so much more to this and I'm alright with that. I'm all about doing this one step at a time because I want to learn and adapt. I have some books coming to me from the University Library that I cannot wait to get my hot lil hands on! I'm hoping to even possibly stumble across some blogs that will open my eyes even further and I really cannot wait!!

This isn't one of those "New Year's Resolutions", this is a lifestyle change. This is a change for the better, not just for me or you, but for all of us. My ultimate goal is to get to the vegan finish line... but if I only make it to the vegetarian finish line then I am just that one step closer.

If anybody has any hints, tricks, helpful thoughts, ideas, recipes, budget tips... anything!!! I will gladly accept them.
Remember... keep things happy!
I don't need any mean and/or negative (PETA) people sending me things... I receive your emails and newsletters people! I get it!

Leave a comment of brilliance or email me at
near the tracks at g mail dot com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I applaud you.....*this is me clapping*.....I have always wanted to go over to the veggie side.....I just don't think I could go all vegan ...I guess I need to get that book huh????

Maybe in baby steps....like one thing at a time....there are a ton of alternatives out there for you....and once the toxins leave your body...I have heard you feel lighter, and healthier.....

I don't know....someday....

But in all seriousness...this is a huge step that I have no fear you will make it through...you are strong and I love you for wanting to rid your body of arsenic....mmmmmm poison!!!!!

LMAO

Anonymous said...

Oh, and......

I will support you and everything you do....but so help me god if you start wearing flowing skirts and don't wash your hair and get dreads and then start wearing sandals with funky socks in the winter and then you change your name to something like PeaceonEarth MoonLove.......

I will still love you but it will have to be in secret......Oh, and don't go changing monkeys name to like Boywholovesstars MoonLove.....

Just do go all crunchy....HA HA HA....like you would never wash your hair...I think you just shuddered....huh, am i right.....

Holla

A

Anonymous said...

I meant DON'T go all crunchy...duh

*Whole Point*

Baking With Plath said...

So awesome! I'm a vegan and I love it. It's definitely hard though, and I would recommend doing the vegetarian thing for a bit before going full-on vegan. It's overwhelming.

Seafood was super hard for me to give up as well, so maybe just eliminate one meat at a time. I guess just go at whatever pace feels best for you. I gave up meat cold turkey (pun intendeD?) and was surprised at how easy it was. It opens your eyes to a whole different world of food and it's not as hard to do as everyone seems to think.

If you youtube Meet Your Meat and watch it, that will probably help. It's PETA and PETA sucks but the video really gets the message across and makes you realize just how horrible it is for those animals. That video is what really solidified it in my mind for me.

Good luck! It's an awesome thing that you're doing. Totally feel free to e-mail me for anything.