Thursday, December 31, 2009

a letter because I hate dating

Dear Mother Nature:
Why must you be so moody? Seriously 24 inches of snow? The local weatherman is predicting about 2 feet of snow to be dumped on our area! Must you really?
I have a date Friday night and that is when you're supposed to start your PMS spazz attack, and because I don't care to drive when it's snowing, you're really putting a kink in my plans!
Can you change your plans for Saturday? Saturday works better for me.

---
Speaking of dates... I hate them. I'm going to tell you why...
First date? Almost always uncomfortable.
Dinner and movie dates out are lame.
I like to be comfortable in every sense of the way.
I want to skip all the junk and get right to the point.

Here's an example: Jennifer Marie, this is how you pronounce my last name. I have a brother, parents are divorced, mom is a little unstable, dad is a hard ass former marine. My Memere is my role model; I get my strong will and determinism from her. Boy Child is my everything and I talk about him a lot, and will continue to do so. I did this growing up, here are my mistakes and I can guarantee that many more mistakes will be made... and I welcome you to make mistakes too.

Only problem is, when you throw all that out there from day 1, it's unwanted information. This is me and this is what I have to offer. I don't want to give it my all to find out that you don't like random middle of the night trips to Walmart where my only purchase is a bag of Swedish Fish and a bottle of Snapple.

I'm domesticated: I cook, I clean (sometimes), I enjoy family activities, nights at home cooking together, parades, fairs, board games-- you know, things that don't involve bars and partying like its 1999.

Oh... and don't even get me started on those awkward silences. I like when you get past the point where silence is welcomed and no longer awkward.

I either love you with all that I have, or I don't.

5 comments:

oyveyheyhey said...

Dating sucks. To be honest, I've never had "real" dates. I met my now-husband at a party and we just more or less "hung out." No pressure. SO EASY. And when we weren't hanging out, we talked about those awkward conversations via email, it made it so much more comfortable.

jenn said...

jennifer marie, huh? my name too! :)

gosh i don't envy the whole first date thing. i haven't been on a first date in hmm...well, since college. so almost 6 years. in a way, i ALMOST envy you because that whole new relationship feeling is so exciting.

that being said - my husband & i were both super sick tonight and spent our new years eve eating lasagna, playing cards, and drinking alone. not sure i'd trade that either :)

Mr O said...

"I like when you get past the point where silence is welcomed and no longer awkward."

really awesome point there. Good luck with your date and hopefully momma nature will cooperate

Maryx said...

Good luck sweetie! With both Mother Nature AND the dating thing. Urgh! Really good luck. You're braver than I am... hehe!

Anonymous said...

and when all was said and done....

who had a really great "date"???!!!!

and I believe it was the drink mix you bought that made it a party just like 1999!!!

I know I was seeing double there for a bit!