Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Apartment Living Wednesday

The move has been made. I went from the cute little house with lots of privacy to this cute little apartment condo looking thing with null privacy.

February 13th the adventure started. The adventures in Apartment Living.

I am not used to apartment living. At all. Call me spoiled, call it whatever. I've just been lucky to find house rentals for many years.

So on Wednesdays I'm going to chronicle some of these adventures because you just can't make this shit up. What's mine is yours right?

Welcome to Apartment Living Wednesday!

Let me give you some background info on my little neighborhood. There are five buildings and a total of 24 apartments. The buildings are set apart from each other in a decent distance. Each apartment, except the four handicap accessible, are two levels. The entrance and exit is in the middle of "The Compound".
You've all seen these; welfare apartments, ghetto living, whatever. Don't judge.
We have a dumpster in the middle of The Compound. Quite convenient!
There is also a building that contains our mailboxes and laundry facilities, also near the middle of The Compound. (Oh washer and dryer how I miss you!) Each apartment has an assigned number parking space, which is typically in front of our apartment; one building isn't so lucky. We have doorbells. Some apartments have a shared entrance with a neighbor, others do not. I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't have to share.
I live towards the middle of The Compound, directly after the entrance, my living room windows (3 bigguns) face the dumpster, mail room/laundry building and driveway. I see it all. I get to be nosey.

So....

February 13th: I get the keys to our new little home. That night after Boy Child goes with The Mailman I start bringing boxes over. A short, skinny woman with a frizzy over permed mullet comes over and starts a conversation.

Now I'm all about meeting my neighbors, I lived at the house 6 years and only knew three neighbors by name. This could be a nice change.

Her: "You moving in?"
Me: "Yes" *although I wanted to say "No, I'm just moving boxes for my fuckin' health"
Her: "Oh, well Hi. I'm ... That's my cat. Do you like cats?"
Me: Looking at her like she has 5 noses. "I'm Jenn. Oh, that's fine."
Her: "Well, don't let him in your house, he'll never leave."
Me: "Oh, don't you worry!" (background: we just brought our 2 cats to the shelter; I'm all set with this for a while.)
Her: She stops talking, puts her hand over her mouth. "Ohhh, I'm so sorry, I have to apologize, I don't have my teeth in."

I had to walk away.

I have seen her three times since then and she still doesn't have her teeth in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMFG.....I just love this story everytime I hear it...

Can't wait for the onion....

This is going to be my new soap....

Oh, and; did we ever stop to think about that poor womans teeth.....how sad....staying on the counter and never going anywhere....LOL

You gotta love apartment living....

Badass Geek said...

Are you sure you didn't just move into my neighborhood?

One of the women who works at the general store in town often takes out her teeth if there are no customers in the store. I came in once, and while looking around the store, I saw her reach under the counter and slip her teeth back in her mouth.

It was gross.

Pandora said...

Ok,I can already tell I'm going to LOVE Apartment Living Wednesday.I am also new to the whole apartment living lifestyle,and let me tell you,I never thought it would be such an adjustment.