Saturday, February 7, 2009

Stupid Cupid

7 days away. Face it; it's coming whether we want it or not.

As a little girl I always loved Valentine's Day because my parents would make it special for me. I'd always get treats, flowers, and lots of extras.

Who needs a boyfriend when ya got Dear Ol' Dad?

The dreaded High School years hit and well, Valentine's Day wasn't all that bad either. If I remember correctly I had a boyfriend every year. He may not have always been "Stud of the Year" but he was my "Not Stud of the Year" and I liked him, so I always received something sweet. I mean it was High School after all, and back then a package of bubble gum for this brace face was fuckin' sweet!

Well now that I'm a grown up (or so I'm being told I am) Valentine's Day isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I do the same thing Dear Ol' Dad did for me for my Boy Child. He gets a rockin' red bag full of goodies, a card and sometimes a movie or something uber special. Hate to toot my own horn here, but I'm a fuckin' kick ass Mom! Just ask around. Seriously.
The relationship with The Mailman sucked, he was not romantic at all. I had to kick, scream and break things to get his attention and that still didn't work. Lost cause there.
A guy or two following (I don't remember) did a few sweet things but it's become such a forced holiday, how could you forget?

Now here's the problem... other than last years gift from Jex being the DAY after Valentine's and that consisted of half price chocolates (Yes! I'm serious!) and a frame with our picture in it (Yes! for real!) he is a super awesome gift giving person. He truly puts a lot of thought into his gifts. Like last Christmas I got the iPod I was salivating for and this Christmas... Sugarland concert tickets. That gift made me cry and the only thing I got him was a damn weather station. Didn't I look like a big asshole!

So last night he's showing me something on his laptop but then this follows..
Jex: "Oh don't look!"
Me: "Huh?" (Obviously very confused)
Jex: "Oh, there's an email I don't want you to see."
Me: "I never friggin' look at your email."
Jex: "Well it's your Valentine's gift."
Me: "Well, what the fuck! All you had to say was just don't look or nothing at all, didn't have to say anything about Valentine's Day! Keep shoveling yourself into that hole!" (shoveling motion)

I haven't even thought about getting him anything for Valentine's Day!!! I know if he ordered something online and received a confirmation email he has put a lot of freakin' thought and effort into this! I'm doomed!
I get Boy Child gifts, not the men. I haven't a clue where to even begin and I certainly do not want this to be a "its 68 degrees inside, outdoor temperature of 10 degrees with a real feel of 15 below zero" mistake.

Somebody help a girl out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Over these last nineish years that I have known you, I have come to realize that you are someone who DESERVES the best on this holiday.....it's all about the wine and roses.....and you deserve them all and more.....

I hate how commercial its become also but I know that Boy Child will look back with fond memories just as you do with your dad.....

I sure as heck can't wait to find out what fire man bought you.....do tell, chickie....do tell

Anonymous said...

A gift for a man- tough one. Men are hard to shop for, but in general, we like useful, practical gifts more than sentimental gifts.

Also, we like Kate Beckinsale.