Saturday, November 22, 2008

lights and sirens

Well hot shit! Lately I am the ultimate slacker and, well.. nothing! I'm over it. You should be too.

Jex and I had date night last night; which is very hard to come by considering our schedules with the kids and his work. I should add that he's a career firefighter for the town we live in; this is important info-- pay attention!
So last night we did it up! We enjoyed a yummilicious dinner out and then we went to a University hockey game. We had a flippin' blast! The University here takes our hockey VERY serious! All is said and done, night is over, go home (his house) and go to bed; Jex has to be at the fire station by 7am (he's always there early 6:30ish).

His alarm goes off... he gets up and starts to get ready but then... his pager goes off; as in his pager for the Fire Dept. Those high pitched tones followed by the dispatcher's voice can be bone chilling; you never know what you are about to hear.

*Attention Artic Tunder Fire Department: you're requested for mutual aid at "location" for a structure fire. (repeated) Attention Artic Tunder Fire Department: you're requested for mutual aid at "location" for a structure fire*

At that very moment life changes... everything around you stops.
What is it? Why? Where is he going? What's going to happen? Who?
While all these crazy thoughts are running through my mind this man is moving like nothing I have ever seen.
In a blink of an eye I get a quick kiss and an "I love you" and just like that, he's gone. *poof*

He's living his dream and deserves it more than anyone I know, yet my crazy thoughts are not stopping!

I want him to be safe, I want the people that he is about to come in contact with to be safe, I want it all to work out for the best; I too, am only human.

I have the same thoughts and feelings when I see and hear the lights and sirens on fellow fire trucks. I know what those firefighter's families have to listen to in the afternoon, at dinner, in the middle of the night and I'm sure they wonder the same thing. Our family dinners have been interuppted many times so he can go. I have been woken up in the middle of the night, out of a perfect sleep, because those tones went off. The end result of this all is the men's selflessness.

Just remember when you see and hear those lights and sirens... get the hell out of the way!!
It could be your family member that they're on their way to or take a glimpse at the time, think about their family for a brief second; did they get their kiss and "I love you" this morning?

No comments: