Saturday, January 30, 2010

my phone rang

Ultimate goal: my own classroom.
Yes, that's right; I want to be a teacher.

Until then, I have applied at the local school district to be a substitute teacher.
So not only will I be doing the Mom thing and working on my bachelor's, I'm going to be a sub.

Back in December I filled out all the necessary paperwork, applications, background check and completed the necessary fingerprinting process.
As soon as I completed that, I was put on the 'sub list'! Oh happy day!
I had all this completed in time for winter break in hopes to be kept busy in between semesters, except my phone never rang.

Friday I made a few changes that may have affected my name being on the sub list, like dropping off my completed transcripts; proving I completed my degree! Accepted a few additional schools, so rather than being available to only 2, I'm available to 8!

I left the superintendent's office Friday and within ten minutes, my phone rang!
No joke!

I have my first assignment. I'm going to be in a language arts class with grades 6, 7 AND 8!

I'm so flippin' excited but... I'd also be lying if I didn't say that I'm also a lot little nervous.
I remember what it was like to have a substitute teacher in class. We were mean. Kids are mean. 6, 7, and 8th graders are evil! They're not your teacher so they "don't have to listen", but I'm going to go in there with an open mind and a heart that's temperature is yet to be determined.

Please... send me lots of luck! Oh, and any hints or helpful suggestions would totally and completely rock my world!

6 comments:

Claudine said...

Conratulations and good luck on your future endeavor! I've always wanted to be a teacher too, and I was for four years, but somehow I ended up in the science industry.

____j said...

GOOD LUCK!! I was actually thinking about signing up to sub next fall, so let me know how it goes!

jenn said...

So exciting!! Just go in there and use the old "fake it 'til you make it" trick. We were always way more brutal to the subs who looked scared. If you seem in-control & confident - they wont mess with you.

Michelle Schraudner said...

Ooh good luck!

Maryx said...

I agree with Jenn! We did the same thing! Good luck and pls update how it went?? And for how long are you subbing? (Did I say that right? haha)

Ashley said...

From Maine and going to be a teacher??

So much in common. :) (I just left you a comment on 20sb)